Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Book Meme before I go...

Off to Perpignan in the Languedoc in the early hours of tomorrow morning. Apparently Salvador Dali thought that the world literally revolved around Perpignan railway station and he always felt inspired there. So I am intending to sit in the station for an hour with my laptop just to see what happens.

Before I go I am just going to post this meme which Aydin of SNAILTALES (see sidebar) tagged me with last week. It seems a fun one to do.

1. One book that changed your life?
BELOVED by Toni Morrison because I thought it so wildly adventurous and wonderful that I couldn't think of anything else for a while.

2. One book you have read more than once?
THE LAST BATTLE by CS Lewis. In fact I read the whole set of books again and again when I was a child so that in the end they fell apart. THE LAST BATTLE was my favourite because it was very sad.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
THE ART OF FICTION by John Gardner together with either my lap top or a pen and paper. I keep picking up this smallish book thinking this looks good - but somehow never get round to reading it.

4. One book that made you laugh?
64 Clarke by Andrew Holmes. I'm sorry I keep harping on about this book - but I really liked it and sometimes it made me laugh out loud.

5. One book that made you cry?
A PEEP BEHIND THE SCENES (at the age of 8) - as bought for me by my grandmother. I think the heroine's entire family has died by the end of the first chapter. Since then I have become hard and insensitive.

6. One book you wish had been written?
A small pamphlet on code for the mac.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
A faddy sort of health-food book I adhered to religiously when I was too young to know any better. I only stopped when my mother convinced me I had turned orange (through eating too many carrots).

8. One book you are currently reading?
THIS THING OF DARKNESS by Harry Thompson. I've been looking forward to reading this for sometime because I was thinking about writing a book on the story of these Fuegians being taken back to Tierra Del Fuego by Captain Fitzroy (of the Beagle) at the same time Harry Thompson must have been. I'm very glad I only started the research now, but am really looking forward to reading more.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
THE GENIZAH AT THE HOUSE OF SHEPHER by Tamar Yellin. I bought this over a year ago and have flicked through a few pages and I'm really dying to read it, but it is a hardback so I tend not to pick it for journeys - which is when I do a lot of my reading.

10. Five people I am tagging. The first five people who read this - only if you have time, of course! But please let me know if you do - I shall be interested to read them.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

I do hope Perpignan train station was more interesting than the airport there. I spent a few hours there last Easter and didn't feel in the least surreal. Lovely light down there, though.

Sun Aug 06, 10:48:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hi Clare - Have fun - it sounds intriguing! I would love to do the list - I am a sucker for lists and quizzes! Your answers were really interesting ... I don't think I'd heard of one of the books - so more books to add to my (very long) list of to-reads!

Mon Aug 07, 10:15:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip snailkeeper Clare!

Mon Aug 07, 04:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for your list. I am an admirer of your Wegener's Jigsaw, as you will see if you click to find my list.

I am an alumn of a term in the south of France and love railway stations just generally, so make sure you let us know of any epiphanies.

Best of success on your current project.

Wed Aug 09, 02:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy: You're right - the airport is not very interesting. I feel sorry for those people who no doubt had to spend a few hours there today.

Chiefbiscuit: I'd be delighted if you did. I shall check tomorrow. I notice fellow antipodean Ben Peek has written a very good one already.

CFR: Thank you!

DF: Thank you to you too. Delighted you've arrived here. I shall check out tomorrow.

Fri Aug 11, 01:03:00 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Regarding No. 7, in which Clare Dudman's mother says that she is orange:

When I was small, I ate almost nothing but raw food. I was particularly fond of things that nobody else ate raw--potatoes, green beans, black eye peas, okra, etc. And I adored carrots, so much so that my skin took on a pleasant orangey flush. The carotene seemed particularly concentrated in my nose...

Perhaps only people weird enough to do such things end up scribbling.

Sat Aug 26, 04:54:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment Marlyat2. Yes, I too didn't stop at raw carrot - cabbage, any root vegetable..my particular favourite were apple cores. It seemed to me to be such a waste not to eat those too.

Scribbling and raw vegetables - there must be a connection. A good subject for a dissertation perhaps.

Sat Aug 26, 11:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw very fond of those white, crunchy cabbage cores. Very satisfying, somehow.

I wonder what field for the dissertation? Literature, nutrition, psychology, biology, neurology...

Sun Aug 27, 04:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home