Friday, August 04, 2006

Recycling at Tescos

Cashier: Give this lady will ya, Doreen? (Goes to grab a handful of plastic bags).
Me: It's OK, I've brought my own.
Cashier to Doreen (looking at my bags): Heard about this new thing, they've got going?
Doreen: What, the recycling?
Cashier: Yeah, that's right. Seen the T shirt?
Doreen: No. Nice are they?
Cashier: (Sniffs) Dingy green. I'm leaving mine.
Doreen: Why? Can't be that bad.
Cashier: You haven't seen what they've got on the back.
Doreen: What's that?
Cashier: 'Recycled bag'.

Given the average age of the typical cashier (ie about the same age as me) I think this little witticism may have back-fired.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I'd LOVE a 'Recycled Bag' shirt. That's something to wear with pride - and particularly suitable if one happens to be twice-married!

Sat Aug 05, 05:23:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

That is rather funny!

Sat Aug 05, 06:06:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan makes a good point and so funny!
Good to know you're envionmentally friendly Clare! I took my mother shopping this morning. Again with bags. Again, we never seem to have enough on hand and have to resort to new carriers...
Again, we should do better.
Otherwise I reckon we should be forced to wear those T shirts!

Sat Aug 05, 06:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan: Very funny - I must admit I did laugh quite a bit when I heard that about the T shirt - which didn't go down very well. But what you say is funnier still - and I hadn't thought of that.

CFR: Have to admit I'm not usually very impressive in the recycling bags. If I remember to bring them they are usually the wronf size, too feeble and somehow don't quite fit into the trolley. Must rry harder!

Sat Aug 05, 11:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home