A Book Meme before I go...
Before I go I am just going to post this meme which Aydin of SNAILTALES (see sidebar) tagged me with last week. It seems a fun one to do.
1. One book that changed your life?
BELOVED by Toni Morrison because I thought it so wildly adventurous and wonderful that I couldn't think of anything else for a while.
2. One book you have read more than once?
THE LAST BATTLE by CS Lewis. In fact I read the whole set of books again and again when I was a child so that in the end they fell apart. THE LAST BATTLE was my favourite because it was very sad.
3. One book you would want on a desert island?
THE ART OF FICTION by John Gardner together with either my lap top or a pen and paper. I keep picking up this smallish book thinking this looks good - but somehow never get round to reading it.
4. One book that made you laugh?
64 Clarke by Andrew Holmes. I'm sorry I keep harping on about this book - but I really liked it and sometimes it made me laugh out loud.
5. One book that made you cry?
A PEEP BEHIND THE SCENES (at the age of 8) - as bought for me by my grandmother. I think the heroine's entire family has died by the end of the first chapter. Since then I have become hard and insensitive.
6. One book you wish had been written?
A small pamphlet on code for the mac.
7. One book you wish had never been written?
A faddy sort of health-food book I adhered to religiously when I was too young to know any better. I only stopped when my mother convinced me I had turned orange (through eating too many carrots).
8. One book you are currently reading?
THIS THING OF DARKNESS by Harry Thompson. I've been looking forward to reading this for sometime because I was thinking about writing a book on the story of these Fuegians being taken back to Tierra Del Fuego by Captain Fitzroy (of the Beagle) at the same time Harry Thompson must have been. I'm very glad I only started the research now, but am really looking forward to reading more.
9. One book you have been meaning to read?
THE GENIZAH AT THE HOUSE OF SHEPHER by Tamar Yellin. I bought this over a year ago and have flicked through a few pages and I'm really dying to read it, but it is a hardback so I tend not to pick it for journeys - which is when I do a lot of my reading.
10. Five people I am tagging. The first five people who read this - only if you have time, of course! But please let me know if you do - I shall be interested to read them.