Thursday, August 23, 2007

Out with the old, in with the new...

In some ways I hate to finish a book. Almost immediately I begin to miss the characters and the setting. Never again shall I know them so intimately. I get a similar feeling when I read a good book - but it is more intense when I finish writing a novel.

The only answer is to start on something else. So today I emailed a doctor at the local hospital. I am hoping he will allow me to shadow him so I will understand what it is like to be him - then part of what he does will be part of a character in the new book I have planned. My editor suggested that I try something different - so from nineteenth century Patagonia I am going to a hospital in twenty-first century UK.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

wow! that sounds wild!

Thu Aug 23, 08:36:00 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

Heh, it's back! I though Blogger had swallowed the post.

Sat Aug 25, 05:59:00 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

This might prove useful in future writing, Clare.

Mon Aug 27, 04:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange, I was just looking at your blog, Andrew when this came in! I like your idea of the passer-by becoming involved in the Art. I think John Fowles did this, perhaps. Is it called metafiction?

And Lee, I write, I publish, I edit and sometimes I forget to republish. Apologies.

Mon Aug 27, 07:24:00 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tue Aug 28, 09:54:00 am  
Blogger Andrew said...

Though, Clare, my passerby's involvement in the art is a very humble one. All he does is pass by.
I'm afraid all these labels like metafiction I never figure out. Even such sacred edifices as "modernism", or dare I sauy it-"postmodernism", I don't really understand or have any interest in understanding.

Tue Aug 28, 09:57:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home