Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Gothic Debate

Last night I went to the Chester Debating Society - one of the 'fringe' events at the Chester Literature Festival.  The motion, proposed by Helen Jennings (right) and opposed by Die Booth (left) was 'This house believes that Twilight has brainwashed a generation.'


Interestingly, the majority of the audience had not heard of the Twilight Series, which is perhaps an indication of the effectiveness of the different networks at reaching their target audiences.  It was good humoured and entertaining.  The general consensus was that everyone learnt a lot - especially about sparkly vampires.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming! And yep - it did show how limited media reach actually is, I wasn't surprised nobody had read it, but was very surprised that so few had heard of it!

Thu Oct 24, 11:08:00 am  
Blogger jem said...

I watched the first Twilight film - it was when they started to sparkle that I lost it - I spent the rest of the film whining 'that's not how vampires work'!

Additionally what a deliciously gothic name Die Booth has! Carnival of Horrors indeed!

Thu Oct 24, 11:32:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

My pleasure, Die! I honestly did enjoy it. I was surprised that people hadn't heard of it too. I suppose it depends on the circles people move in.

Heh, hehabout the sparkles, Jem. And I agree about Die's name :-)

Thu Oct 24, 10:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home