Sunday, October 06, 2013

Norton Abbey. Runcorn

Now that I have finished my book, I decided to test out my 'Weaver's Bottom' with a gentle five mile  stroll 


around the walled garden of Norton Priory near Runcorn


- where fancy chickens in feather boots peck at apples.


It is a gentle Autumn


after a warm summer: golden leaves 


and chestnuts are poised to fall


and mushrooms are sprouting fungus bouquets.


Outside the priory we saw a strange green mound 


and then a series of stehles marking the route to 'Big Wood' 


that turned out to be merely a copse, with carved totem-trees.


It is a pretty, but not a tranquil spot.  

Turn away from the serenity of the Bridgewater canal



and the cooling towers of Fiddlers' Ferry are a reminder that this small part of Britain is still industrial.



2 Comments:

Blogger N.L. Lumiere said...

Your photos are stunning, Clare, as is your writing.
I didnt know a living tree could be carved.

Mon Oct 07, 07:29:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Nora! You are very kind. I was lucky with the light. And yes, it hadn't occurred to me about the tree. It was still living, and it was carved. That is strange.

Mon Oct 07, 07:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home