Tuesday, September 07, 2010

I'm back!

Actually, I was back a day ago but I wanted to do nothing for a bit. I enjoy doing nothing, but then I remember that my days are numbered (although with a large number, I hope) and think I want my life to mean something, and so automatically my thoughts turn to my blog.

Anyway, I came home to two very interesting and welcome things: 'The Way of the Panda' by Henry Nicholls (courtesy of Profile Books)


and a Kindle cover - although sadly no Kindle as yet.


When my Kindle comes I am going to download a massive book on it; not sure which one yet, but I think it will be massive. Although of course when it is downloaded on Kindle it will only be as massive as every other ebook.

Finally, I want to just mention that the 7 Day Wonder holiday was truly wonderful - but more on that later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I lust after your kindle cover

Tue Sept 07, 10:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Mary said...

I think it's fabulous and refreshing to take a blog break - or a technology break in general. When you come back, things feel new again and it's easier to start exploring.

And then you get welcome back messages.

Welcome back!!

Wed Sept 08, 03:12:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hello Jessica! Nice to (virtually) meet you. I fear I was a little too unadventurous in my Kindle cover choice. The black looks a little too like my Moleskine.

Mary: I agree about breaks. And thank you.

Wed Sept 08, 07:23:00 am  
Anonymous ojimenez said...

I have the perfect "massive book" for you kindle,
namely: INFINITE JEST by David Foster Wallace.
As I mentioned in some earlier entry here, I sold the kindle but sill have the e-books which I downloaded to my computer. I'd be glad to email you IJ, it's only 1079 pages long.

Cheers!

Sun Sept 12, 06:23:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Excellent idea, Okimenez! David Foster Wallace is one of my favourite authors. That's a kind offer - but I'm not sure that's allowed by copyright, is it? Maybe if I bought it from you?

Sun Sept 12, 10:05:00 pm  
Anonymous ojimenez said...

Mmmm...now this is an interesting development: I've given away several copies (books) of Infinite Jest to friends and co-workers (mainly because IJ is such a tremendous book), and I never worried about copyright. Should I worry about sharing an e-book? mmm.... perhaps if I were to set up a link for people to download it for free it would violate copyright, but if I'm only sharing it with one person? this is very strange indeed....DFW is my favorite, too.
Zadie Smith had a very thoughtful essay about DFW in her last book of essays (Zadie.. another favorite of mine.)

Cheers!

Mon Sept 13, 02:37:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, I think you're right, Ojimenez. I think in this circumstance it is like giving away a book since you no longer have use for it - so thank you and yes please!

I like Zadie Smith too. I haven't read that book of essays yet, but shall have to soon - I have heard so many good thins about it.

Mon Sept 13, 10:14:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home