Sunday, August 03, 2008

Britain from above.

This looks amazing. It is strange how everything here reminds me of something else: the taxis finding a shorter route is like blood suffusing through tissue again once the pressure has been removed; the taxis waiting above airports is like a child scribbling; the telephone network waking in the morning grows like mould on an agar plate. It is as if each part of our biological system is a fractal; the same patterns can be found again in something larger and in something smaller.

6 Comments:

Blogger stu said...

I just saw this on the news, and it seems to reinforce the importance of connections and contact to human behaviour so much better than almost anything else.

Sun Aug 03, 07:29:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Great way of putting it, Stu - yes, it is all about connections.

Sun Aug 03, 07:47:00 pm  
Blogger Gordon McCabe said...

One particular overhead simulation shows all the transactions from people's bank accounts into the BBC's TV Licensing accounts.

Sun Aug 03, 11:28:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Aha, I was thinking of you when I wrote this post, Gordon - I thought it might be something that might interest you.

Another interesting one would be telephone voting on TV programmes - and whether they come from any particular place... I think I might start a (stuff for other people) to do list. Second would be MRI scans of shamans in a trance.

Mon Aug 04, 01:42:00 pm  
Blogger jem said...

This looks like one of those much watch things. I'm still dancing about from that Channel 4 thing about what would happen after humans died out :)

Interesting what you wrote. I just commented on someones post the other day about map reading and how it reminds me of palm reading. All those lines that mean something to someone!

Mon Aug 04, 05:57:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I think this might have something to do with the poetic/scientific mindset, Jem - sometimes there seems to be metaphors wherever we look.

Mon Aug 04, 07:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home