Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Hodmandod Anti-Incendiary Device.

The decluttering has revealed stories within the vast collections of Hodmandod clutter. For instance, yesterday I uncovered about eight small screw-top plastic containers hidden in Hodmandod Major's vanity unit in his bedroom - about half of which were filled with ancient water.

This evening Hod Senior and I were just puzzling over what could be the purpose of these when Hodmandod Minor piped up from a pile of cushions on the sofa. 'Ah, I can explain that.'

Apparently these were anti-incendiary devices. Alongside the containers were a collection of much-loved soft toys (collectively called 'The Teddies') and since these had to be left whenever we went holiday, Hod Major had devised a plan in case the house caught fire in our absence. In the event of flames, he reasoned, the plastic would melt, and the resulting flood of water would keep the Teddies safely cool until we returned.

Since Hod Major is now 23 and Hod Minor 18, I am hoping very much that this plan was devised several years ago, although the water, when I sniffed it, smelt oddly fresh.

'We also used to fill up the sink, just to make doubly sure.' says Hodmandod Minor.

Ah, it's as if it were yesterday...

10 Comments:

Blogger stu said...

Pure genius. Now, where's that tupperware?

Tue Jul 29, 09:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny!

Tue Jul 29, 11:07:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Stu: Yes, it's a wonder it's not been patented by now. In fact it probably already has.

CFR: Yes, they're a bit strange, my sons. Don't know where they get that from.

Tue Jul 29, 11:16:00 pm  
Blogger JL said...

This made me laugh and laugh and laugh. L being not-quite-eight, whenever we leave the house I have to fortify and protect any number of important companions with various strategies.

So now I know it's not just my kid...

As an aside, I doubt it's deliberate, but many of your word verifications remind me of Welsh word cadences...

Wed Jul 30, 02:52:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

JL: Aha, yes, I agree - it's so good to know that it's not just yours!

And yes, those word verifications often seem to mean something to me - very fleetingly - it's rather like looking for your future in tea leaves or the palm of your hand, I suppose.

Wed Jul 30, 08:33:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This story amused me so much; it really made me smile. What inventive, original-minded sons you have ... but hardly surprising! :)

Sat Aug 02, 03:05:00 am  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

Was he under the pile of cushions? If so, was this fortification and defense? And is this a continuation of the mindset that gave rise to 8 bottles of water and an overflowing sink?

Wed Sept 28, 10:12:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Sorry Marly: me non comprendi. What pile of cushions?

Wed Sept 28, 10:23:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

I have no idea!

Sounds like I was talking about two posts at once! Yes, I dimly remember another post with pillow-fortifications. Maybe I meant this to be on that post and then refer to this one?

But I love that story...

Sun Feb 19, 01:34:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ha, that's the trouble with blogs - old posts sometimes semm to belong to another person.

Sun Feb 19, 11:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home