Monday, December 03, 2007

"We're Good To Go"

That's what my magazine editor in San Francisco said just now. The article I wrote from Norway in mid-October has now been laid out (I think that's the term) with some gorgeous photographs and is likely to be the 'cover piece' of their March issue.

Norway, UK, San Francisco...I know I should be used to the global nature of the internet by now but still it thrills me to be part of it from this small room.

At 4am last Saturday morning I got an email asking for a cut of 8 lines and some suggestions for captions which have all been accepted. So lucky I was at my desk, really!

Because the novel is 'going' again now and I'm back to my old habit of waking with the perfect phrase in my head. I think this is a good sign and I'm hoping that this means I might be back to whatever 'form' I used to have. It's an exhausting business, though, because once this line comes into my head I know I can't stay where I am (in bed) but have to shuffle as quietly as I can along the corridor to my study and write it down - otherwise it will disappear.

Anyway, I managed to have 2 000 words written before 12pm today but thereafter became entangled in other essential stuff...

Total word count 9950





6 Comments:

Blogger jem said...

The verges of sleep but be good ground for new ideas. I always think of things just as I am falling asleep, and have to fight to wake to write them down. I always keep a notebook by my bed though, so I never have to get up, especially essential in cold weather!

Mon Dec 03, 10:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea Jem, but unfortunately I can't do that. I can't write in the dark and if I were to switch on the light Hodmandod Senior would wake - so the best thing I can do is creep quietly into another room and write the sentence. Then, once I write one sentence another comes, and then another and another...then, when I have written another page or so - then I can sleep.

Mon Dec 03, 11:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you would get going again. Congratulations. It's just having the courage to wait out that fallow period without losing self-belief, isn't it?

Tue Dec 04, 09:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Table-talk that not losing self-belief is vital and so very difficult. I am sure that there is a moment of every day that I think 'I can't do this', 'I'm never going to be able to do this' and 'I give up.'

Tue Dec 04, 10:53:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

This sounds great, Clare.
Long may you shuffle around in the early hours of the morning....with good ideas shuffling in tandem!

Tue Dec 04, 10:57:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jan - no doubt I shall...

Wed Dec 05, 11:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home