Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fifth Sunday Salon:12.45

On the last 50 pages of the fascinating VIRUS HUNTER now. It is somewhat terrifying; just by being scratched by a monkey, bitten by a mosquito or even inhaling the droppings of a mouse people can be infected by a hemorrhagic fever and die 10 days later.

I have just eliminated the rest of this post because I thought it might induce paranoia - which is one of the drawbacks of doing this kind of research. For instance, earlier this week I was convinced that there had been an outbreak of bird flu in East Anglia. Hospitals over there were on 'black alert' and people were being treated in ambulances outside the hospital because they'd run out of beds....then nearby they were culling thousands of birds. For a few hours that was all anyone was saying and I was convinced that the next thing that would happen would be a sombre public statement by the Prime Minister telling us to stay indoors and not panic. But it didn't happen.
Link

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother would have understood your paranoia completely. She would have had the house disinfected a dozen times if that had been one of our local hospitals and Dad and I would have stood round bemused, loving, but bemused.

Sun Nov 25, 04:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that pretty much sounds my late mother-in-law too.

I can't get onto your blog Ann! I'll keep trying...

Sun Nov 25, 05:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the main page, Clare,

http://web.mac.com/ann163125/Table_Talk/Welcome.html

and go from there. I think if I'm in the middle of publishing there is sometimes a problem.

Sun Nov 25, 05:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann - but still no luck I'm afraid - it's just not loading.

Sun Nov 25, 05:40:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and yet...and yet...(re your second paragraph here, Clare) Even if information is apt to produce paranoia, I'd still choose to be informed. I suppose that's because I'm just like Ann's mother and your mother-in-law! I like to prepare for the worst. Now I have a silly confession...(please realize I know that it reveals a zany side)...I have a carton containing a great many surgical masks which I ordered during the much-publicized SARS event here in Canada. That combined with various other emergency supplies actually makes me feel a little better because I know that I've at least done my best to look after my family. My father had a silly little saying "Do your damndest - angels can do no more!" So I do my damndest and then put the matter aside.

Sun Nov 25, 06:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think you're just being sensible, Susan. I keep thinking I should have such a store too - but I can never get around to it. When the day comes I reckon we may well be sorted out by those who could be bothered and those who couldn't!

Sun Nov 25, 09:20:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

Hmm.
I think you may guess why I shivered on reading this, Clare.
Life is very fragile.
Stuff can happen so suddenly..

Sun Nov 25, 10:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Jan, I was thinking it was a good thing you didn't read this a year or so ago - it would have worried you sick.

Sun Nov 25, 11:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few months ago I read a book about bird flu, coincidentally at the time of the first UK bird flu outbreak. Before I knew it I'd stocked up on canned goods, candles, etc. and was learning how to make my own disinfectant.

And yes, I was looking for masks online! Still think it would be a good idea to have some, along with my carrot soup.

Mon Nov 26, 08:25:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm sure you're right, KathyF. In fact I read a book on Bird Flu recently that recommended everyone did just that and even gave a list of the essentials.

Mon Nov 26, 08:58:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home