Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sixth Sunday Salon: 22.00hrs

I have been trying and failing to concentrate on ENIGMA by Robert Harris. I know it is well-written and I should be enjoying each page but my mind is wandering. I'm blaming it on lack of sleep and general exhaustion - definitely my fault not Mr. Harris's.

The blogmeet was fun (Bloggers With Book Contracts). Suffice it to say I met Minx, Debi Alper, Emma Darwin, 'the man who fell asleep', 'Bowen', 'Granny P', Elizabeth Bains, Ash, Rachel North, Barbara and Shona in the flesh. It was a privilege. I have a photo but I'm not sure I should post it since I don't have everyone's permission. We met in the restaurant of a famous bookshop along Piccadilly with a fabulously Basil Faultyesque waiter: 'No, I can't give you a bill now, I'm busy...' he hissed sarcastically one time, and at another time flounced magnificently after failing to interrupt someone's conversation to ask if they wanted a drink.

Some people just do not take well to subservience.

I just told Hodmandod Major that I had gone to London for a blogmeet yesterday. 'What's that?' he asked but when I told him the phone made strange spluttering noises. I am going to have to get that thing fixed.

9 Comments:

Blogger S. Kearney said...

Oh, what a shame about the photo ... I heard Minx, Debi and Barbara were going. What a great chance to meet up with other bookeroonies! :-)

Sun Dec 02, 11:46:00 pm  
Blogger dhamel said...

Great line: Some people just do not take well to subservience.

I love your description of the waiter.

Mon Dec 03, 12:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job I wasn't there, I would have crowned him with his own tray.

Mon Dec 03, 09:34:00 am  
Blogger Debi said...

Lovely to meet you - but not nearly enough time. Barely scraped the surface ...

One day that waiter will find himself immortalised in 12 different books! I don't want subservience - just a teensy bit of politeness ...

Mon Dec 03, 09:47:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Shameless I am hugely tempted to post it because it is quite an interesting one.

Thanks Debra - yes, I'm afraid I tend to have the attitude of that waiter sometimes - but only to arrogant people and these people were definitely not.

He was rude. I couldn't believe he'd said what he'd said. It took a few seconds to sink in.

Pity you weren't there, Tabletalk. That just what he might need.

Same here, Debi...and yes, he'd be ideal for a book. I think Basil Fawlty may have been based on his father - or maybe his uncle.

Clare

Mon Dec 03, 07:35:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clare, it was great to put a blog voice to a spoken one. I really enjoyed it and that waiter - a flouncemeister!

Tue Dec 04, 07:48:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Minx - lovely to see you too, and yes, great to put live voice to written one.

Tue Dec 04, 11:08:00 pm  
Blogger Shauna said...

i really enjoyed meeting you Clare! hope we can all do it again soon, maybe further north for us non-London types!

Thu Dec 06, 11:30:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna - Yes, we should meet in Edinburgh. That would be good. Maybe during the festival or something. Actually, that's got me thinking...

Thu Dec 06, 12:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home