Sunday, December 16, 2007

Eighth Sunday Salon: 14.00

A late start because I have spent the morning doing stuff for Christmas - and thoroughly enjoying it this year, I think partly because I went to a Christmas Carol concert last night which I found quite wonderful. I shall write a post about that later.

However, since it is Sunday Salon I shall now concentrate on a book. I am half way through THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BRIDGE by Mary Lawson, which I am enjoying tremendously. It is a straightforward tale following one Arthur - a slow-witted boy who has a younger but much sharper brother called Jake, and then, in alternate chapters, a story set about thirty years later that follows a boy called Ian who goes to work at Arthur's farm because he lusts after Arthur's wife Laura.
Link

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

I liked her first (?), Crow Lake. It is quite unusual in being a (non-genre) book in which the protag is a scientist. Or married to a scientist, it is so long ago that I read it that I can't quite fix it. It is relatively unusual, though, to read a novel in which a character both happens to be a scientist and whose scientific work figures rather than simply being referred to "outside the plot".

Sun Dec 16, 03:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I enjoyed 'Crow Lake' as well. I haven't come across this one, but it sounds as though it might be joining the TBR pile.

Sun Dec 16, 07:12:00 pm  
Blogger Susanna said...

mmm you'll have let us know how that turned out!

Tue Dec 18, 04:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not read Crow Lake yet - and not through this one yet, but I am loving it. Crow Lake will definitely have to go on the TBR pile after this - I'd no idea it was about a scientist - even better, then...

I shall report back when I've finished.

Tue Dec 18, 11:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home