Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Durham University 175th Celebrations

A few months ago I met a cousin of a friend at a funeral. We were introduced because we were both graduates of the University of Durham. I have always been ferociously proud of being a Durham graduate. It was, at the time, a small place and very beautiful. My first year there I had a pretty wild time, joined anything I could and went to lots of parties.

At the end of this riotous year I didn't do particularly well in my papers which was a bit of a shock so I decided thereafter to settle down and revert to being the studious blue-stocking I had always been until then. I am not entirely sure this was a particularly good idea but it shaped the rest of my life.

So when this cousin of a friend asked me if I was going to join in the 175 years of Durham University celebrations this year I was interested. When the email came I signed up and now am very glad I did. Every week now there are letters telling me more about what has been planned and I am becoming quite excited:

drinks reception in my college on arrival, buffet dinner, events in the department the next day, and then, the highlight, the Grand Dinner in a marquee with Bill Bryson, the Chancellor, giving the speeches.

Now that I have made the critically important decision on what to wear I am all set. I shall be taking my camera and making a full report.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Chip Dale said...

Surely know that you'll be able to read Bryson's full speech in his soon to be published book, 'Bill Bryson's University Speeches', priced at a reasonable £7.99 from all good bookshops soon?

(Of course, I'm only jealous. I'd be there too, trying to meet the man. I look forward to reading the report.)

Tue Sept 04, 01:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you'll be there too, Big Chip! Excellent. I hope we meet.

Tue Sept 04, 11:26:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home