Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Incurable Addictions

Oh, I can't keep away from my blog. Sad, sad addict that I am. Three days (is that all?) and it has been a torture.

On Friday I (very unfortunately) had to take a library book back and I spotted there was a sale on in the basement so I just thought I'd take a look. I bought four books (as if I haven't got quite enough already): NO ONE WRITES TO THE COLONEL by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, THE LAST RESORT by Alison Lurie, THINKS...by David Lodge and Janet Frame's autobiography AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE.


I also borrowed two library books: the fascinating CONSCIOUSNESS by the late Jeffrey Gray (which I had started a few weeks ago before someone had the audacity to request it back) and also BLINK by Macolm Gladwell (mainly because of Debra Hamel's recommendation).

The fiction turned out to be international (which pleased me). I dipped into the autobiography and found that Janet Frame is from Chief Biscuit territory of Dunedin in New Zealand so I am looking forward to that having had a taste of the place from CB's blog and also her very evocative short story. I also started a couple of non-library books: Jill Dawson's WATCH ME DISAPPEAR which has an incredibly pacy start, and dipped into a little poetry - CLAIRE by Marly Youmans which I loved (more on these later).

I have been endeavouring to make a little order in my life. I am sure there are enough hours in the day for me to do everything (including my beloved blogging) and get a decent night's sleep (very much lacking recently) if I could just be a bit more disciplined. I think I'm getting there...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amphetamines is the answer, Clare.

Mon Jan 08, 11:32:00 pm  
Blogger Kirsty said...

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to encourage addiction in anyone, but I rather enjoy the fruits of your blogging obsession.

Mon Jan 08, 11:50:00 pm  
Blogger Lee said...

Oh, welcome back, I've missed my daily fix of you.

Tue Jan 09, 12:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, Clare, and welcome back. Apologies too, for my silence recently -- I am swamped with work, one of those times when several things have coincided in one week. I'll be in touch as soon as it clears up a bit.
Personally, my only bit of personal sanity in my life is my blog and associated "circle of communication" but I guess I'm a pretty sad person compared with most.

Tue Jan 09, 07:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew - I'll order mine at once.

Thanks Galaxy and Lee - too late already of course.

Well Maxine, if you're sad then I'm pretty tragic - but I don't care. It's good, it is, it is...as long as I keep it under control. And please don't worry about silences on my account.

Thu Jan 11, 12:10:00 am  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Welcome back!

Thu Jan 11, 08:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home