Sunday, December 31, 2006

HAPPY 2007

(This picture is of me alone. I was threatened with you tube revenge if I posted anyone else up. Hodmandod Major claims to have footage of me singing along to my ipod. I don't remember this, but just to be on the safe side I thought it better not to risk it).



Good-bye then 2006. In the end you turned out to be a good year - much better than 2005... which I would like to bury away in the ground and leave there.

Hodmandod Major got his degree and starts work tomorrow;
Hodmandod Minor passed his exams with results that pleased and surprised us all;
my mother-in-law is happy (although in a world that is entirely her own);
we spent a week in the Isle of Wight and saw the footprint of a dinosaur;
I finally learnt a little of the language of my ancestors in Lampeter and consequently feel I know myself a little more;
I learnt astonishing things about the brain and had such a wonderful week in Oxford I wish now that I had gone to university there;
I had the happiest of days in Amsterdam and, in the company of my publishers, saw my book in a little pile in a bookshop;
I spent a couple of blissful days in the Languedoc talking to some amiable and intelligent people about books;
I finished my book and although my publisher can't take it she says it is accomplished and I should be proud of it - so I shall be;
but most of all I have this blog. Sometimes I think I should give it up because something I love so much cannot be good for me and it takes up so much of my time I really should be doing something else. But I find out so many interesting things and contact so many interesting people I cannot let it go. It enriches my life. I feel I know people across the world and it makes me aware more than ever than the world turns - than the sun shines on one part and then the next - that I am never alone and I hope this never changes.

Yes, 2006 was good because of all the people I already know and the people I met - Oxford, Amsterdam, Lampeter, Languedoc and the web. If any of you read this THANK YOU and Happy New Year to you all.


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Clare!
Not sure about that hat mind; I think you're more of a fedora/boater/beret person.
Good to see you had some fun on new year's eve and I loved your posted thoughts.
Best to you, as always.
CFR

Mon Jan 01, 02:16:00 am  
Blogger Susan said...

A very happy new year to you, Clare! I think the hat is charming!

Mon Jan 01, 05:54:00 am  
Blogger Jan said...

Happy New Year Clare!
And just to reassure your fellow "readers", I know Clare and she always looks stylish with or without hats!

Mon Jan 01, 09:50:00 am  
Blogger Kirsty said...

Happy New Year, to you as well Clare. I've very much enjoyed reading about your various adventures throughout the year.

It wouldn't be Christmas without those slightly too large cracker hats would it?

Mon Jan 01, 01:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all - yup, getting that hat to 'work' at just the right jaunty angle was a killer, I can tell you.

Mon Jan 01, 01:43:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We looked in the cupboard and found only one Christmas cracker! A sad moment...

Christmas crackers with fedoras and boaters would be large but pleasant, though one must have a queen or king in the mix.

May 2007 bring you the right publisher for your new book, lots of good Hodmandod news, and much joy.

Mon Jan 01, 03:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marly: yes, one cracker won't do at all...and yes, there has to be royalty and I am pleased to report that in my household I am always the queen (but then there is little competition). I wish you likewise, Marly. In fact I declare it so - with my sceptre and mace.

Mon Jan 01, 06:17:00 pm  
Blogger Anne S said...

So you sing along to your ipod? One of the reasons I have not, as yet, got one is that I have the habit of singing along when wearing headphones, much to the mirth of anyone listening and to the embarassment of myself.

I can imagine the potency of the threat would prevent you from embarassing your family on your blog.

Love the party hat - very fetching.

A happy New Year to you.

Tue Jan 02, 09:42:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Happy New Year to you - let's hope 2007 is even better. I agree about the blogging - ditto.

Tue Jan 02, 02:23:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Clare, you sum up blogging so aptly and poetically, much better than I could ever do. So exactly right. I hope too that, in 2007, whatever happens, my blog friends continue to be there and advise me about DVD box set hunks and the like -- oh, as well as intellectual, cultural discourse about books of course.
All my very best for 2007, Clare -- you look very pretty in your hat (love the colour), and once again, I think this a lovely positive and insightful post.

Tue Jan 02, 03:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne S: Ah, you too. I love it when there's an empty house...and I do recommend the ipod. I have found it quite life-changing - usually in a good way! And thanks...

...and thanks to you too CB:

and Maxine: thank you but you are too kind...and it is not true IMHO. CFR says that your DVD post has taken off hilariously since I saw it last night so I shall allow myself to look once I've finished this book - too late as usual. I miss all the good stuff.

Tue Jan 02, 09:00:00 pm  
Blogger Debi said...

Thanks for these wise words, Clare. Consider me uplifted! One of the best things about this time of year is the nudge it gives us to take stock.

I missed blogging over the hols but then felt alienated when I got back. But you've reminded me why I'm here and what it's all about. Thank you!

Happy new year to you and yours.

Thu Jan 04, 01:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home