Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Day at Llangollen

High above the vale of Llangollen is a small house


where, during Victorian times lived a pair of ladies who found they loved each other more than they loved anyone else; and lived their lives in this glorious seclusion.


Below them the river Dee, flowed as it flows now full of chatter and gossip.

The Llangollen International Eisteddfod is a little way out of the town and at the base of a hill. There is a huge covered pavillion and a series of smaller stages including this open-air amphitheatre.


The lunchtime audience assembled


and I said my piece


and, as the sky clouded over, the Welsh Patagonia choir sang.


The Elfair stall was near the entrance


with my books on display


and sold, in Welsh, by its most excellent keeper, Sioned. We sold much of the stock - a great success! Many thanks to Sioned and her family for all their help and enthusiasm - I had a grand day out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Debra Hamel said...

What a beautiful place. I love the picture of the river.

Mon Jul 12, 04:38:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, it is, isn't it? Really verdant and so close to me. I don't know why I don't make an effort to go more often. It does the soul some good, I think.

Mon Jul 12, 11:45:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

Being somewhat nosy....I'd like to hear more about the Victorian ladies in the little house on the hill :-)

Thu Jul 15, 05:28:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh, heh. I think they deserve their own special post, Susan. It's been years since I went - but I vividly remember their tiny double bed. It's quite a place.

Fri Jul 16, 08:52:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home