Friday, July 02, 2010

Brian Clegg and the First Scientists

Tonight Hodmandod Senior and I went to a very interesting discussion in Wrexham (part of the Wrexham Science Festival) by Brian Clegg on who was the first scientist.



The contenders were Archimedes, Roger Bacon, Galileo and Maxwell Clark. Brian assessed them for science-worthiness by whether they used maths, experimental evidence, depended on dogma and their tendency to communicate their discoveries. I think that's right. Brian confessed to a vested interest because he'd written a biography on Roger Bacon; but most of the audience went for Galileo.


At the end Hodmandod Senior bought two out of Brian's impressive range of books: Infinity and the Global Warming Survival Kit. I'm glad he got the Infinity one because I've had my eye on that one for a time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home