Saturday, March 06, 2010

The Cake-Eating Academical

It was Hodmandod Minor's birthday so we decided to take him a cake I'd made


and then went for a short walk under a sky like polished pewter


in Morcambe Bay.


There is a bleak romance about the coast in winter;


a piquant. soul-soaring emptiness.

Hodmandod Minor is twenty and at university. He is the sort of person that is happy alone.


We remembered today that he was a small thin scrap of a baby when he was born; but soon filled out to be the sort that would wake smiling in his cot


and jump up and down with a gurgling grin at the thought of being plucked out.


He still likes cake.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Mary said...

I want you to make me a cake just like that for my birthday, Clare. :) Happy birthday to your son!

Sun Mar 07, 01:58:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Awww ... there's something about mothers and 'early-twenties' sons that tugs at the heart. Bless you both!

Sun Mar 07, 07:18:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

*grins* Thanks, Kay!

Sun Mar 07, 10:02:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Mary: Heh - thank you from my son! Putting on all those Jelly Tots took hours of work, I can tell ya.

Sun Mar 07, 12:00:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

Jelly tots! That is so much better than gum drops...

I always love these walks. And how pleasant to make it a story about your son this time. Happy birthday to him, happy un-birthday to you under the hammered pewter sky.

Some time when the pace slows, I need to go on your big China walk. I have peeped at some... I like them very much, but your home rambles are just as satisfying.

Sun Mar 07, 02:38:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Marly, a blog can be very much like a public diary, and since I am a forgetful person I find them useful.

I haven't yet finished my Chinese posts yet, but when I do, I am going to try and collect them together and maybe give them their own blog.

Sun Mar 07, 03:26:00 pm  
Blogger Joe Dunckley said...

it does look like an awesome cake :)

i've been very much enjoying the short photo-essay format, too, and have spent the last couple of months collecting photos on obscure themes ready to try telling stories with them...

Mon Mar 08, 12:07:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hello, Joe! Obscure themes sounds good!

Mon Mar 08, 12:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home