Friday, March 05, 2010

My Wonderful Day by Alan Ayckbourn

Tonight we went to see My Wonderful Day by Alan Ayckbourn at Theatr Clwyd. I don't usually like comedies (maybe because in the theatre they turn out to be farce) but this was excellent.


Nine-year-old Winnie is feeling a little unwell and so she goes into work with her heavily pregnant mother who is a cleaner for a television presenter. Her mother insists that she spends the day doing her homework which is to write about her day. This is what Winnie does with impressive perseverance - because this day turns out to be quite exceptional.

All the actors were excellent, but the central character, Winnie, played by Ayesha Antoine, was particularly good. Her timing was wonderful.

My Wonderful Day and Ayesha Antoine have received high praise from the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal and I can see why. It's only on for six nights and I feel lucky to have caught it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Sounds like a wonderful play. Amazed that the leading actress could portray someone so much younger than herself.

Sat Mar 06, 08:48:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

It was, Paul and that actress so convincing. She looked like a nine-year old and behaved like one too. I wish I could have taken a little video just to show - quite unbelievable.

Sat Mar 06, 10:44:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home