Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Giving up on Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

It is not often I give up on a book; but I am afraid I am giving up on this one - a hundred pages from the end. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, and came highly recommended to me, but I really can't find anything in it that speaks to me. I have tried and tried. Obviously I am missing something.

(Added two hours later) It turns out I couldn't leave it there after all. Something made me pick it up again - after all, there were only a hundred pages left! I decided to just finish the book, and am glad that I did so because those last hundred pages made all that had gone before make sense. It had to build slowly to make the ending so very moving. I suppose it was about the power of forgiveness on the forgiver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home