Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shrewsbury Evolutions.

Shrewsbury used to keep its own time, a few minutes different from everywhere else. Maybe, in earlier days, anyone arriving here would have to reset their watch by the station clock...


but Shrewsbury is more famous now as the birth-place of that quiet herald of the evolutionary age, Charles Darwin - and so here are the familiar side-whiskers and small snub nose...


in bronze outside the most magnificent town library I have ever seen.


And then there is this...


- a modern homage to the man - and also mammon. I wonder if he would have approved, or would he have liked this more:


the jostling of businesses and the strutting of customers - the most unfit and decrepit apparently competing with the new and brash, and no one losing out...


or this, the Old Market Hall where I met Penny Thomas, my new editor from Seren in the cafe on the first floor.

Ah, the quiet shuffling of thoughts among the cakes and tea, it was a very pleasant way of spending a couple of hours. Now that I have been prompted gently into thinking of new ideas, I have a way of going forward, and have found that my book will be copyedited (which is becoming unusual these days). So I am very happy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good and properly persnickety copy editor is a rare creature; I hope you get one.

I love these little town tours you do, Clare! And I wonder whether you had a Shrewsbury cake...

Wed Sept 24, 02:40:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you, Marly. No Shrewsbury cake, I'm afraid. It's like sharing your photoalbum with the world, isn't it?

Persnickety is an interesting word - I think, over here we forgo the 's' - pernickety.

Wed Sept 24, 11:30:00 am  
Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

"my new editor from Seren"...

happy words... congratulations.

And thanks so much for your comment on the book depository site. It was really nice to find people discovering Connaissances from there.

Wed Sept 24, 10:00:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks you to you too, Jonathan! I hope you're settling in to your new abode.

Wed Sept 24, 10:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home