Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Good morning, so far...



The postman delivered this little lot of goodies early this morning:

(i) THE BOY WHO WENT AWAY by Eli Gotlieb

(ii) a compendium of Henry Green novels - LIVING, LOVING, PARTY GOING (you know how sometimes you keep hearing the same name recommended again and again...? I think Eli Gotlieb's recommendation was the final straw, which brings me so very neatly to

(ii) FINAL STRAW - another album by Snow Patrol and

(iii) THIS DESERT LIFE - an album by COUNTING CROWS

and (iv) a little bit of work for me to do (editing someone's manuscript).

So after a swift download I shall be out in my shed for the foreseeable future (or at least until elevenses when Hodmandod Minor usually rises).

First though, I shall be reading at this: a very interesting-looking article on Kafka by P.D. Smith on '3 Quarks Daily'.

8 Comments:

Blogger jem said...

I'll be interested to see what you make of 'The Boy Who Went Away' - I really liked it.

And pleased to see you have added another Crows album to your pile - do you have them all now? This is actually my least favourite, but Mrs Potter is irresistable to sing along to and Colorblind is fragile and beautiful and often nearly breaks me.

Tue Aug 12, 10:21:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ooh what a loot - all goodies!!! Enjoy!

Tue Aug 12, 02:39:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

WOW...WHAT did you once say about going into town and suddenly realising all the "fashions" had changed??!
Did you know we're all wearing crinolines again...

Tue Aug 12, 07:02:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Jem: No, to date have four, and a video- so I think there's one of two more to get. Not really gone through them much yet, but what I've heard so far I like.

Thanks Kay!

Jan - being particularly dense this evening, don't understand...but I was surprised to see young girls wearing maxis again all of a sudden (or so it seemed to me) a few weeks ago when I went into town. Now crinolines too? Excellent.

Tue Aug 12, 07:30:00 pm  
Blogger JL said...

What is 'elevenses?'

Wed Aug 13, 01:46:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

JL: I think this may be an old-fashioned term - it means a cup of coffee or tea with a biscuit (cookie!) at around eleven o'clock. I think I like the aspiration of this, rather than what actually happens - since my day actually tends to be punctuated by not only elevenses, but 'tenses', 'twoses', 'twenty minute-past-threeses' etc.

Wed Aug 13, 06:46:00 am  
Blogger stu said...

Getting up at eleven worked well enough for Descartes.

Wed Aug 13, 10:01:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Stu: well I suppose he needed to regenerate all those genius brain-cells. I think I shall not tell Hodmandod Minor this. He needs no encouragement.

Wed Aug 13, 10:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home