Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Light Therapy


I have acquired my own little sun. It is supposed to combat the 'Winter Blues' by bathing you in light. Ever since Auke Leistra, my Dutch translator, mentioned that he had one and found it beneficial I have wanted one of my own. When the days get shorter I quite often find myself depressed and tired. Human beings evolved in the tropics under the bright sun of the savannah. I think we are not designed to live in the perpetual gloom of a British winter (or British summer). Now during the duller days I can give myself light therapy.

5 -10 days of 3o mins at 20cm
5- 10 days of 60 mins at 40 cm
5-10 days of 120 mins at 70 cm

It should not be used after sundown.

An improvement should be noticed within a week.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do let us know if it works!

Wed Sept 05, 08:01:00 pm  
Blogger Anne S said...

Clare: Your complaints about the English summer caused me to remember this classic song penned by Michael Flanders of Flanders & Swann fame, so I've been awaiting for an appropriate post by you to quote it. This is it.

A Song of the Weather

January brings the snow
Makes your feet and fingers glow
February's Ice and sleet
Freeze the toes right off your feet
Welcome March with wintry wind
Would thou wer't not so unkind
April brings the sweet spring showers
On and on for hours and hours
Farmers fear unkindly May
Frost by night and hail by day
June just rains and never stops
Thirty days and spoils the crops
In July the sun is hot
Is it shining? No, it's not
August cold, and dank, and wet
Brings more rain than any yet
Bleak September's mist and mud
Is enough to chill the blood
Then October adds a gale
Wind and slush and rain and hail
Dark November brings the fog
Should not do it to a dog
Freezing wet December then:
Bloody January again!
~ Michael Flanders ~

PS I hope the substitute sun light works.

Thu Sept 06, 03:02:00 am  
Blogger Lee said...

Another person who'd like to know if it works - and if it's cheaper than a week where there actually is the real thing.

Hm, I've just had another of what my family calls Her Ideas (like windshield wipers or at least water-repellent glass for spectacles): a computer monitor which radiates this kind of light, programmable of course.

Thu Sept 06, 08:49:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CFR and Lee: I shall - as soon as it gets gloolmy (and I feel SAD).

AnneS: Oh that is excellent - thank you - exactly right.

Sun Sept 09, 03:23:00 pm  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Perhaps you should start before it becomes gloomy. Then you might skip being sad!

Wed Sept 12, 04:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home