Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Geode: for Liz and Helen

A couple of weeks ago I went to a celebration of Liz and Helen's civil partnership. Liz and Helen are both talented members of Chester Poets and so, as part of the event, there were songs and readings. Although I am more of a prose writer than a poet I was delighted when they asked me to contribute too, so I wrote this...

Geode.

It is not the colour of your eyes that I love, but the way they look in the morning just before they open. I say your name and something around them softens, then they open and it is as if my whole world is in there, lost in their depths.

It is not your voice that I love but the things that it says: your dreams of me and you, your promises, your memories of another land, barren and cold, before us, you say, before now.

It is not the shape of your hands that I love but the way they hold mine: soft, warm, a second skin. Never let me go, I say, and you smile and your hands tighten.

Those are the three things: your eyes, your voice, your hands. Each one unremarkable, like a rough stone a gardener could uncover in his garden. The sort he would throw to one side never knowing that inside was a little miracle: a tiny cave encrusted with crystals, each one storing light like a secret, releasing it with a glow when you enter the room.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Clare. Liz and Helen must have loved it. Hope they have a copy to keep for themselves. It's lovely, the wonderful reassuring side of love. Love's about the sum total of little things...ie the eyes, the hands, the voice. I reckon happiness is the same..

Tue May 30, 02:45:00 pm  
Blogger Jonathan Wonham said...

Nice thought Clare. I have a couple of geodes myself which have never been broken into. I just like to imagine what is inside.

Tue May 30, 10:35:00 pm  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

This is so lovely, i bet they were thrilled. It brought a tear to my eye, i don't mind admitting...
sx

Wed May 31, 12:32:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, Clare. Sarahx

Wed May 31, 04:00:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you - you're all very kind. I love the thought of geodes, but I guess Jonathan's right - in some ways the anticipation rather than the actual revelation of breaking into one can be the greatest pleaure of all.

Thu Jun 01, 09:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home