Thursday, May 25, 2006

The All Over Tan

This made me laugh on the BBC news website today. Judging from the BBC's feedback on the feature the general consensus of the people of Great Britain was that the man making the video of the hapless nude sunbather was the one who should have been charged, not the sunbather herself.

When I was a child our neighbour was a single woman who also liked to sunbathe in the nude (also a nurse, oddly enough). For several months in the summer my brother David and I used to look forward to the sun coming out so we could spy on her through the holes in the fence. Sometimes my brother used to invite his friends around so they could take a look too. I think some money may have changed hands, but I am not entirely sure about that.

The man with the video camera claimed he was shocked for his children's sake, but I have to report that we suffered no long-lasting psychological damage. In fact it may have contributed to my brother's choice of career - not an entrepreneur or a publisher of men's magazines, as you might expect, but a doctor. I like to think that peeping though the fence that summer awakened an interest in the anatomy of the human body.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

How funny (and kinda sad that she had to move away from her house ... ) She looks a litle like Meryl Streep (clothed anyway!!) . We had a neighbour whose neighbour (at the back of their property) used to sunbathe nude - but we couldn't see their backyard from ours.Shame! But I'll always remember our neighbour describing the nude sunbather's breasts as dinner plates - I guess that's when she was lying down!

Fri May 26, 06:24:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, as of right now, the "Have Your Say" opportunity has amassed 55 pages of comments. http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=1896&&&edition=1&ttl=20060526120453
I think there's something about the air and the sea in Cardigan though. I stayed at a cottage there a couple of summers ago. The owner had the door open to another cottage between lets so I thought I'd take a look. I didn't get to see it though. As I approached, the owner came the door, naked with his hands over his bits. I took a diversion down the side wall to see the sea view and avoid any further embarrassment for him. It seems that there are benefits in doing the cleaning naked... It all happens in Cardiganshire!

Fri May 26, 12:18:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hey Clare - did you see you were mentioned on http://www.philobiblon.co.uk/?
Thanks for your email ... I have replied.

Fri May 26, 03:15:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sorry ... me again! Thought I better tell you that the link is to Natalie's blog and she mentions your blog on the link to Friday's Femmes fatale on r.h side column.

Fri May 26, 03:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chief Biscuit: (Wrote an answer to this yesterday but it didn't appear so severe case of deja vu here)
Yes it is sad, really, isn't it? But I'm hoping she'll have a better time with more tolerant neighbours. That dinner plate description is hilarious - maybe because it sounds so accurate.

Crimefic reader: Incredible number of comments - interesting to see where they get the most feedback. And very funny tale about your Cardigan adventure - such a pity you didn't have your video camera with you(!)...I agree very funny lot in Cardiganshire, I should know, I reckon I'm related to half of them... hello Dad...

Chiefbiscuit: Thanks for letting me know. I see you are there too...Nice to get a mention...

Sat May 27, 10:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home