Friday, March 07, 2014

St Nicholas's Chapel.

Unwrap me
and strip away my modern stone facade.

Step back
and behold my outsize roof - a pennant of brick.

Walk through my tunnel of light
and you will see nothing of me.

I am not what I seem.
Not Tudor Gothic music hall

nor Theatre Royal.

That corn market phase 

blew away like chaff.

The Common Hall alteration turned out to be a temporary adventure.
I didn't want it.

No, what I was, what I am and what I always will be is this:  
place of song

and prayer for Simon de Albo.


A whiff of incense in my walls.  

2 Comments:

Blogger red botinki said...

I really liked this, Clare! I did not know it had once been a chapel.

Gill

Sat Mar 08, 09:52:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Gill! Very kind of you.

Sun Mar 09, 09:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home