Friday, June 29, 2012

The Usefulness of an Emergency Book Cache.

This afternoon, having decided I needed to pop out to the shops, I decided to not bother with my phone, made sure the back door was locked and slammed shut the front door...realising as I did so that I had just locked myself out. Since the local phone boxes were (predictably) not working I walked slowly around the shops, and then slowly drank some tea in the supermarket cafe.

Unable to draw this out any longer I arrived back at home still with a couple of hours to kill before the arrival of Hodmandod Senior and it was at this point that I realised I could get into my shed and, more importantly, my emergency book cache.


A couple of years ago I decided to collect all the Booker winners - most of which I have read - but a few remain outstanding....and so it was I alighted upon Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala. The first couple of sentences run on through several characters without introduction, which I found perplexing, but I persevered and in doing so realised it was part of a joke, a way of dragging the reader into gossip, which I thought very witty.

When Hodmandod Senior arrived I was still engrossed, but then returned to the book I was reading before I left - the extraordinary Pieces of Light by Charles Fernyhough...which ironically enough is all about memory.

The moral of this story is always keep a cache of book to hand in your shed in case of emergencies.

6 Comments:

Anonymous marly youmans said...

Must get shed.

Of course, I probably couldn't get to it in winter...

Sun Jul 01, 01:59:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Good point, Marly! Not a big problem here...at the moment, anyway!

Sun Jul 01, 05:03:00 am  
Anonymous marly said...

I'm expecting Indian travel plans from you now that you are reading Indian novels!

Wed Jul 04, 04:41:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

If only, Marly...No, I have to resort to reading and watching videos to fuel my next chapter.

Wed Jul 04, 04:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Crystal King said...

My emergency reading cache is, quite literally, about 100 books high. I read voraciously but I'm always storing up the ones I really want to read! Right now I'm in the thick of research though, so all the good novels will have to wait. I have added those two you've pictured there into my pile!

Thu Jul 05, 03:57:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hi Crystal, you sound like me - but luckily for me my novels are part of my research too :-)

Thu Jul 05, 07:59:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home