Thursday, September 29, 2011

A talk at Whitchurch Library

I had a great time in Whitchurch Library tonight. Whitchurch is such a pretty place: narrow ancient streets, a market town, history exuding from every wall, it seems. According to Wikipedia it was founded by the Romans - a settlement in the middle of the plain between Wroxeter and Chester. Then it was called Mediolanum, the 'Whitchurch' came later, named after the White Church (replaced by a red stoned one in the early eighteenth century). The more I read the more interesting this all seems. Unfortunately, I was running late and didn't have time to take a photo, so I am going to have to come back.

The librarians had gone to a lot of trouble to attract people to my talk and there was a good audience. I got a lot of interesting questions, and one lady turned out to be a descendent of Michael D Jones's sister (one of the main initiators of the Welsh in Patagonia emigration). I am sure I have met some of her distant relatives in Patagonia and intend to put her in touch with them.

I also discovered almost-a-fan of my work, 'My wife's read your other two books,' he said. (This makes her almost unique, I have to say). 'She liked one, but hated the other.' Excellent. This makes me smile each time I think of it.


At the end Kate Woodward (on the right above) - a rather attractive English name which could easily have been around before Whitchurch's red church was built - gave me not only this gorgeous bunch of orange roses in blue paper,


but a sweet little pottery snail too! I shall treasure it. Thank you! And thank you for asking me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous marly youmans said...

Snail!

So sweet of them to bring snail and flowers...

That is an interesting compliment. You provoked strong reactions there. All to the good. Did he say which ws which?

Fri Sept 30, 02:36:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes! His wife liked the Wegener one but not so much the one on madness. The madness one does seem to provoke a strong reaction. It's on one person's 'truly dreadful book' pile on Goodreads. Other people like it much more though, I am relieved to say.

Fri Sept 30, 02:47:00 pm  
Blogger Sue Guiney said...

I love this! People are so funny.

Fri Sept 30, 02:53:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Heh, heh. Hilarious, isn't it?

Fri Sept 30, 06:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home