Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Lowdham Book Festival

I know that some days will shine in my memory. Today the air in Lowdham shimmered in a blazing June.


Behind the walls of a village hall in Nottinghamshire


were bookstalls


leading onto a small field filled with tents



stalls

and people.


and more books.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel down the street housed another series of talks.


While this trio, from the National Trust, told tales from the workhouse of 1841.


My event was here, in the Lit & Phil tent


festooned with the poster that Simon Hicks from Seren made for me.


It worked. It drew people in


They were coming from the other end of the village, I heard. A capacity crowd, and then a few peering in from the entrance. It was one of the most friendly audiences I'd ever had with lots of good questions - and well worth the three-and- half hours it took for me to get there.

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Sounds like it was a lovely day and a very friendly crowd! The tales from the 19th century workhouse must have been fascinating to hear.

Sun Jun 27, 10:14:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

It was, Paul! I think I shall always remember my sunny day at Lowdham.

Sun Jun 27, 10:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Mary said...

Congrats on the crowd, Clare! Did you have enough cake?

Mon Jun 28, 04:05:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Mary - the cake is actually for my launch which is tonight (gulp). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mon Jun 28, 07:29:00 am  
Blogger aliholli said...

What a lovely top! You look fab!

Thu Jul 01, 05:22:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Ali - it is very comfortable on a hot day.

Thu Jul 01, 07:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home