Monday, April 13, 2009

Silkworm Pupa Tragedy

One cocoon hadn't formed very well, the walls so thin I could clearly see the pupa inside. So today I decided to cut it open so I could take a good look at the pupa and maybe see it turning into moth.



When I picked it up the pupa squirmed. So much so that I dropped it, fatally injuring it. Hodmandod Senior took it away to 'dispose of it properly' and in doing so was able to look at its insides: 'Goo at one end, and structure at the head end,' he said.



Now I can't decide if I wish I'd seen this too. But maybe it is better to imagine some things.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no! Disaster... but I know what you mean about enquiring minds - that's your rational side taking over!

Mon Apr 13, 11:56:00 pm  
Blogger Ian said...

Goo at one end and structure at the other. Yep, that sounds like a baby.

Tue Apr 14, 04:59:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

And just think, some people eat these, eh Ian?:-)

Yes, Barbara - disaster! But then Hod Sen pointed out that I'd soon have been stifling it, anyway. Think I might investigate another one, but will try and be less clumsy this time.

Tue Apr 14, 05:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home