Saturday, March 15, 2008

Local Produce.

We have been to a farmers' market in Kelsall this morning, and have managed to acquire nearly the whole week's shopping.


Eggs from two sorts of hen: 'Araucana' (the bluish -white) and 'Welsummer' (the dark-brown) - we are going to boil them and see if they taste any different later;


beer from Nantwich (which must be cooled before serving due to its 'friskiness');


some bread (from the back: garlic and herb, mixed seed, raisin and nut and white - for Hodmandod Minor for he will eat no other);


soup (parsnip, celeriac and roasted red pepper, and mixed bean and tomato), biscuits (Anzacs and shortbread), goat meat - which I shall casserole in some red wine tomorrow, goat burgers - for Hodmandod Minor, smoked mackerel and smoked salmon and mature cheddar (not shown);


three sorts of fudge - because we all liked different sorts when we tasted it, and a swede;

sprouts on the stalk, cabbage, leeks and sprouting broccoli and apples (not shown).

All of it locally produced - quite array of delicious things which I thought looked so beautiful on the table I would record them here for posterity. Somehow, buying them like this makes me appreciate them more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Is it YOUR friskiness, Dr D, or the beer's friskiness???....and hopefully this means you're feeling lots better...

Sat Mar 15, 05:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such an interesting shopping cart! That's something I enjoy so much - inspecting others' purchases (always take careful inventory when I'm standing in line at the supermarket). It's like peeking through windows, getting a hint of the life inside. Your veggies are my cup of tea. The sweets look very good too. Looks like more bread than we could consume in a month. I've never had goat meat so of course I'm afraid of it. All in all very wholesome choices, Clare! Wouldn't this be a lovely idea for a 'meme'? A shopping cart meme! We could snoop around each others' kitchens that way.

Sat Mar 15, 06:12:00 pm  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Great looking groceries, like the susan comment I don't know about the goats meat.I did try goats head soup once though at a gathering, can't say I was overly impressed.. :)

Sat Mar 15, 08:27:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

It is the beer that is frisky not me, I'm afraid, Jan - but I am feeling better. Thank you!

Thank you, Susan. I think the meme is an excellent idea, and what you say reminds me of something in Coetzee's novel DISGRACE. He assessed a couple of characters by what they carried to the till at the supermarket.

Hello Eric! Thank you to you too. I shall report back on the goat. I am just about to marinade it in lemon juice, garlic, soya sauce and oil.

Sat Mar 15, 08:52:00 pm  
Blogger JL said...

L says, Those eggs are AWESOME! I'm currently catching up on my Bulgakov.

Sun Mar 16, 01:51:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JL: Bulgakov - now that is another author I have yet to encounter. Another for my list, JL. Thank you.

Sun Mar 16, 10:42:00 am  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Jolly-looking haul: I had a gamey weekend, dinner parties all antelope and elk.

Mon Mar 17, 04:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home