Saturday, March 15, 2008

Local Produce.

We have been to a farmers' market in Kelsall this morning, and have managed to acquire nearly the whole week's shopping.

Eggs from two sorts of hen: 'Araucana' (the bluish -white) and 'Welsummer' (the dark-brown) - we are going to boil them and see if they taste any different later;

beer from Nantwich (which must be cooled before serving due to its 'friskiness');

some bread (from the back: garlic and herb, mixed seed, raisin and nut and white - for Hodmandod Minor for he will eat no other);

soup (parsnip, celeriac and roasted red pepper, and mixed bean and tomato), biscuits (Anzacs and shortbread), goat meat - which I shall casserole in some red wine tomorrow, goat burgers - for Hodmandod Minor, smoked mackerel and smoked salmon and mature cheddar (not shown);

three sorts of fudge - because we all liked different sorts when we tasted it, and a swede;

sprouts on the stalk, cabbage, leeks and sprouting broccoli and apples (not shown).

All of it locally produced - quite array of delicious things which I thought looked so beautiful on the table I would record them here for posterity. Somehow, buying them like this makes me appreciate them more.


Blogger Jan said...

Is it YOUR friskiness, Dr D, or the beer's friskiness???....and hopefully this means you're feeling lots better...

Sat Mar 15, 05:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Susan said...

Such an interesting shopping cart! That's something I enjoy so much - inspecting others' purchases (always take careful inventory when I'm standing in line at the supermarket). It's like peeking through windows, getting a hint of the life inside. Your veggies are my cup of tea. The sweets look very good too. Looks like more bread than we could consume in a month. I've never had goat meat so of course I'm afraid of it. All in all very wholesome choices, Clare! Wouldn't this be a lovely idea for a 'meme'? A shopping cart meme! We could snoop around each others' kitchens that way.

Sat Mar 15, 06:12:00 pm  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Great looking groceries, like the susan comment I don't know about the goats meat.I did try goats head soup once though at a gathering, can't say I was overly impressed.. :)

Sat Mar 15, 08:27:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

It is the beer that is frisky not me, I'm afraid, Jan - but I am feeling better. Thank you!

Thank you, Susan. I think the meme is an excellent idea, and what you say reminds me of something in Coetzee's novel DISGRACE. He assessed a couple of characters by what they carried to the till at the supermarket.

Hello Eric! Thank you to you too. I shall report back on the goat. I am just about to marinade it in lemon juice, garlic, soya sauce and oil.

Sat Mar 15, 08:52:00 pm  
Blogger JL said...

L says, Those eggs are AWESOME! I'm currently catching up on my Bulgakov.

Sun Mar 16, 01:51:00 am  
Anonymous Clare said...

JL: Bulgakov - now that is another author I have yet to encounter. Another for my list, JL. Thank you.

Sun Mar 16, 10:42:00 am  
Blogger marlyat2 said...

Jolly-looking haul: I had a gamey weekend, dinner parties all antelope and elk.

Mon Mar 17, 04:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home