Saturday, October 20, 2007

Kristin's Mini Challenge

Kristin has posted this mini challenge...

Hey 24 hour Read-a-thon readers! It's time for a fun mini-challenge. Take a break from reading and post a little bit about what you are reading. Some of you might know that I'm a librarian. One of the things I'm interested in professionally is reader's advisory. So, post a little bit about what you are reading and who you think might enjoy the book. Tell us what book is similar to what you are reading or which other author is similar to the author of your book. I'm really excited to read your entries so be sure to post a comment so I'll know where to look.

I'm reading WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN by Lionel Shriver and I would say it is a book that would appeal especially to any woman who has had a child. It describes with a raw sort of honesty those hidden thoughts I think most of us are slightly ashamed of having and so rarely express. The narrator is selfish, worried about what having a child will do to her and because of that perhaps as guilty as her son who is a mass murderer. It is not a spoiler to reveal this because this is described at the beginning and yet you still feel compelled to read on.

I think perhaps it is a little like ALIAS GRACE by Margaret Atwood or BOY A by Jonathan Trigell because both of these books look at life from the criminal's point of view. The writing is similar to Atwood's also and perhaps some of Carol Shield's later works, especially UNLESS.
Link

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for joining my challenge. I really enjoyed We Need to Talk about Kevin and appreciate your comparisons. I also think readers who enjoyed Jodi Picoult's 19 Minutes might enjoy We Need to Talk about Kevin.

Sat Oct 20, 08:47:00 pm  
Blogger alisonwonderland said...

i've read good things about We Need to Talk about Kevin. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i'm going to add it to my TBR list.

Sat Oct 20, 08:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not read that, Kristin - I've just read one of Jodi Picoult's books: My SISTER'S KEEPER and abandoned it about half way through, I'm afraid. I know she's a very popular writer, but it's not for me, I'm afraid.

Sat Oct 20, 08:54:00 pm  
Blogger Kristin said...

You won the challenge! Thanks for participating. I'll email you the details later today and get your book choice.

Sat Oct 20, 09:51:00 pm  
Blogger Bybee said...

I read We Need To Talk About Kevin recently and really enjoyed it, in spite of (or because of? Who knows?) the bleak subject matter and the negativity of the unreliable narrator. Also agree with you about Eva's vocabulary. I had to stop and look up several words.

Sun Oct 21, 01:25:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home