Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Dr Grump and the Full Moon.

Now this is an interesting article. Inspector Andy Parr of the Brighton Police force says that there is a link between the full moon and people becoming more fractious and argumentative. In consequence there are going to be more patrols on Brighton's streets during nights of the full moon. He says that he would be interested in contacting universities who may be interested in examining the link further.

However, the answer to Dr Grump is obvious. When there is a full moon the moon and the sun are on opposite sides of the earth and therefore people's brains are getting pulled in two directions at once. This no doubt has a profoundly unbalancing effect on the mind and, as the Ancient Greeks knew, this can ultimately lead to madness. Dr Grump is a genius in many fields not just those of sexual dynamics and etymology.

(Dr Grump experiencing the effects of a full moon)

When I told Hodmandod Senior about her theory he said that in his opinion it is not as complicated as that. He thinks it is just that the brighter nights allow people to get up to mischief for longer.

But he is wrong and Dr Grump is right. Obviously. She is putting together a grant proposal as I write. 'He'll be eating his words a few months down the line.' she said, then gave an odd little howl as I left the room.
Link

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, Clare, you really should have asked before using my picture! And without concealing my identity at all....tut, tut.

(It actually DOES look like me!)

Wed Jun 06, 01:41:00 am  
Blogger Lee said...

This is a seriously scary photo. What does the moon do to Clare?

Wed Jun 06, 06:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Susan - I think this is a portrait of an exceedingly beautiful woman...she's just having a bit of an off-day, that's all. And Lee - Since Dr Grump often turns out to be my alter-ego I have to report that during the full-moon I am as serene as I always am (or not).

Wed Jun 06, 07:35:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eye of the beholder is a strange organ.

Enough said.

(I looked at Susan's picture again, and I hope she is feeling all right at the moment, because I don't quite see the resemblance between the two pictures.)

Clare dances with the buffalo gourds (discovered those on Chatoyance) by the light of the silvery moon.

Don't listen to what Clare says she does. It's not relevant. What writers say about what they do is never (well, sometimes--we have a dispensation to lie, and I might just be lying now) relevant to what they do.

Interesting, but not relevant.

Wed Jun 06, 05:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Marly - never listen to what Clare says. I know her as well as anyone and I can confirm that she is a most reliable narrator.

Wed Jun 06, 05:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home