Friday, December 08, 2006

Energy Loss

We are gradually changing all our light bulbs (except the ones in the kitchen) to those low energy ones. However their light seems somewhat dimmer than the ordinary bulb, or at least seem to take time to warm up to optimum brightness. In consequence I am feeling low energy too. The hours of daylight seem too short before I am once again plunged into twilight.

Apart from that it has been a tiring week with little time to do much posting on this blog or indeed look at anyone else's posting - which I have missed.

After my customary aerobics session, Monday was spent writing a book proposal and a host of other little tasks like correcting proofs and housework; Tuesday I swapped aerobics for an hour on an exercise bike, finished the first draft of my proposal then I met a friend in a pub and talked until too late in the night; Wednesday I set off early for London arriving at 9.30am having gone through half the entries for Skint's short story competition on the train, then spent a frankly wonderful day in the library followed by an equally excellent party in the west end; then the next day spent another day at the British Library, tearing myself very reluctantly to catch the train back home (and the rest of Skint's competition stories) then today...somehow, today, everything has come to a halt. I went to aerobics and sent off my BAFAB to Australia then shoved some clothes into the washing machine... and all the rest of the day I seem to have just sat at this desk and accomplished precisely nothing.

How does this happen? Some days seem to be filled with useful activities and accomplishments; while on other days I just seem to exist. It frustrates me. I look around me and blame the light. Then open my diary and make a list and hope that tomorrow will be better.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's life Clare, it has a cycle of ups and downs!

A good and busy week for you, I notice!

Go girl!

Keeping on at it, in your case...

Fri Dec 08, 11:30:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there does seem to be a lot of clearing-away needed in order to get to a little piece of undisturbed time.

On my list was a trip to the p.o., so watch out for the slow plane to Chester...

Sat Dec 09, 12:35:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Ups and downs', or 'ebb and flow' - we all experience it. The happiest among us choose to lounge by the shore when the tide goes out. It'll flow back in due course and when it does you can hop up feeling well rested.

Sat Dec 09, 02:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, there is Susan. I just left a comment on her blog to see if she is OK, as I haven't heard from her for a while, and she hasn't posted for 9 days.

Sorry, got diverted there. Yes, Clare, I am just like you (well, never quite so energetic)-- some days are more productive than others. On Friday, for example, I started work at 7 am. and didn't stop until about 10 pm, other than to make the girls' tea when they came in and vaguely say goodnight to them. Other days, concentration is just not that good.
As crimefic says, a cycle of ups and downs, or oscillations about the mean as one could also put it.

PS Bloglines is still not registering your new posts in my reader.

Sat Dec 09, 10:31:00 pm  
Blogger Jan said...

So many women experience the same. Hopefully we coincide with our friends sometimes, ie all " up" together! But I think we're regaining energy in those quiet times. They're often more powerful than we realise I suppose.
HA! Good excuse to go and have another lie down..

Sun Dec 10, 09:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your comments - some wise words there, i feel. I'll take them to heart.

Sun Dec 10, 08:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home