Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Hating of Ben Peek

Author's Note (added 26th November).
Look at Ben Peek's blog and you will see that he has written a book. It is called 'Twenty-Six
Lies/One Truth' and with this title in mind I wrote the following post...(I have felt compelled to add this introduction because what I perceived, in the early hours, to be the height of subtle wit seemed, in the light of day, to have rather too much subtlety and not enough wit).
___________________________________________

Ben Peek has written a hateful book. It is full of loathsome things like depression, early death and that cold perfumed space in a double bed... and I advise any sensible soul to listen to me now: stay well-clear.



Of course I have not read it - and have no intention of doing so. With some books I find I just have to open the cover and the words come spilling out - they hit me in the eye and I can't even remember turning the pages. I throw them down but they pick themselves up again, lodge themselves in my hands and make themselves comfortable. I squirm and they squirm back. 'This is life,' they say, 'you'd better know it.' Then they do that thing again - forgetting about gravity but remembering instead just that third law and the way it goes - disorder, disorder, disorder - then throw themselves at me so I have to listen.

You have been warned.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty-Six Lies/One Truth, written by Ben Peek, illustrated by Anna Brown, and a cover by Andrew Macrae. Buy it from Amazon, buy it from Wheatland Press.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was a good teaser for the book, Clare!

Sun Nov 26, 06:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Hate Ben Peek things ought to be gathered in one spot, because the three I've bumped into so far are amusing.

Sun Nov 26, 07:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://benpeek.livejournal.com/496964.html

there's about 35.

Sun Nov 26, 11:49:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home