Saturday, February 05, 2011

A Library Visit


Today I went to my local library, and, as usual found there was a queue to check-out books. The book that was waiting for me I had ordered on interlibrary loan a couple of months ago, and so was excited to get it. It was a book by Thomas Wardle, the silk entrepreneur, and to my excitement saw that he had signed it twice. Once in a dedication


and once underneath his photo.


I have written about Thomas Wardle before on this blog, and feel privileged to have something he owned in my hands.

The library is something I use very often, of course. I find it an invaluable place because it is the source of such material as this, which would be impossible for me to know without it.

Today there was a day in support of this institution of the library because it is under threat in this country due to the cuts and the advent of the computer and internet. But, as this article points out, the internet cannot replace the library, but merely complements it. There is much hidden away in vaults that would be completely inaccessible without the catalogue and the interlibrary loan. Places to work, study and consult are still needed - now more than ever.

7 Comments:

Anonymous marly youmans said...

How lovely! So you have touched fingertips...

Sat Feb 05, 09:43:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes! :-) It is an amazing thought that a man that fascinates me so much has touched this book.

Sat Feb 05, 09:55:00 pm  
Anonymous marly youmans said...

And he has lovely old-fashioned handwriting, too...

Sun Feb 06, 05:05:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Marly - I guess he was just an old-fashioned kind of guy :-)

Sun Feb 06, 11:55:00 am  
Blogger Jud said...

I agree with you about the need for libraries and archives, Clare. I have recently spent a fair bit of time at the local and state archives doing some research. Oh, and my sister enjoyed your book that I got her for Christmas.

Your buddy in the Deep South...

Mon Feb 07, 01:05:00 am  
Blogger Paul Halpern said...

Glad, in a way, to hear that there was a queue to check out books. In this age of ultra-short messages and increasing reliance on electronic devices, any excitement for books is music to my ears.

Sorry to hear about the cuts, however. Long live libraries and printed books!

Mon Feb 07, 03:59:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Glad to hear it, Jud. Research is endlessly fascinating, I find, and the most interesting stuff is frequently not on-line but buried somewhere in some dusty vault...its discovery, sometimes by chance, is one of life's greatest pleasures (IMHO). And thanks for buying my book for your sister - that's very kind of you. I'm delighted she enjoyed it.

Yes Paul, the queue was good! I'm hoping the campaign against the libraries works - so many depend on them.

Mon Feb 07, 07:58:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home