Saturday, August 08, 2009

Molecular Visualizations of DNA

I just want to watch this again and again - I think the way DNA curls up to form chromatins and then chromosomes is too often skipped over - and I had no idea they only formed during certain times in a cell's life.

I also like the way it shows how proteins are made from DNA via RNA. It is like a little factory - the sound effects really add to this impression. It is incredible to think that this process is going on inside our cells all the time - and that is only one of many equally complicated ones.

This reminds me about something I was reading in Nature today about how scientists are now able to see the cells (neutrophils) of our immune system being summoned to the site of infection where they begin the business of ingesting alien micro-organisms like Salmonella. From the pictures it looked just as clear and illuminating as this video - but this was not a simulation but real life.

Thanks to Andréia Azevedo Soares for the tip about the film.

4 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Sat Aug 08, 11:02:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

My pleasure!

Sun Aug 09, 09:37:00 am  
Blogger Gordon McCabe said...

Fabulous!

Sat Aug 15, 11:24:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, great, isn't it?

Thu Aug 20, 01:10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home