Reading and the Internet
1. Google maps - finding out more about places described and plotting routes;
2. Google images for finding pictures of the places and people described;
3. Wikipedia for finding more information about the author;
4. For looking at sites described by the author in the book. For instance in Malcolm Gladwell's Blink there were several interactive sites referenced that could be accessed;
5. Bookshop sites for finding more books by the author or on the same subject;
6. Author websites for interacting with the author him/herself;
7. Using Google as a detailed dictionary - finding out the meaning of the words in the text;
8. Finding out how words sound - in audiobooks if available;
9. Google for alternative explanations and theories on a subject;
10. Google for finding out when the book was written and generally giving the book a context.
These are all pretty obvious, maybe, but it entertained me to think of them just now and I'm sure there are lots more...