Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Fungal Flips

Last night I dreamt that where I lived was covered in all-enveloping fungus. It kept growing and drooping over the eaves of the house like a covering of snow that is too heavy and slips. There were things I knew about this fungus: it was soft, it changed colour - from green to orange - and it exuded a vapour that I couldn't smell or see but nevertheless changed anything that it encountered.

I knew I needed to run away from it, but each time I did it made me stop whatever I was doing and then leap through time, so at one time I would be on my way out of the door and then immediately afterwards find myself where I had been a few minutes before.

It's been haunting me all day - that, and my enduring conviction (since last Wednesday) that the world, as we know it, is about to end. Maybe I have not been getting out enough.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my. You have and enduring conviction (since last Wednesday!) that the world is going to end? Where did this come from?

The dream is fascinating. I had a dream class in college and this appears to be a typical avoidance type dream. What in real life are you avoiding that needs your attention?

That, or it'll make a good idea for a future story.

Wed Dec 10, 02:19:00 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

Sounds like you've been dreaming Jeff VanderMeer's city of Ambergris
- all that fungas! Personally, I would not like to live there.

Still I hope your forebodings regarding the end of the world are not about to come true.

Wed Dec 10, 04:47:00 am  
Blogger pierre l said...

Are you being invaded by triffids?

Wed Dec 10, 06:05:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Only the world 'as we know it', Mary! Maybe if that is true then what comes next will be better in some ways - I am being determinedly optimistic this morning.

Very interesting that your college course implied that dreams have meaning - I suppose that's following Freud in some way (and also the bible!). I never think of dreams in this way. I just think of them in terms of the mind sorting things out.

Yes, Anne and Pierre - I think maybe it was an Ambergris/triffid combo sort of dream with a touch of Heroes thrown in as garnish!

Wed Dec 10, 07:40:00 am  
Blogger Jan said...

So come to Handbridge on Wednesday!!>! XX

Wed Dec 10, 08:01:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Wish I could Jan, but I have too much to do - I don't think I've read the book anyway. Thanks, anyway!

Wed Dec 10, 10:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My college course didn't imply that dreams had general, apply-to-all-of-humanity meanings, just that the subconscious was trying to communicate with the conscious mind, using wild imagery to make the message stick. The mind sorting things out is a good way to put it, although dreams can also spark our creativity.

Freud probably was discussed in class, but I don't specifically remember that, so obviously his theories weren't stressed.

Fri Dec 12, 03:06:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ah, I see, Mary, interesting idea - I believe no one knows just yet, I wonder if we ever will.

Fri Dec 12, 08:52:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home