Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Poem for Mike.

The weekend has not gone as planned. I seem to be mired down, somehow, and not accomplishing very much. All I have done today is write-up the minutes of a meeting, sort through poems written for a friend whose funeral is tomorrow, and select a couple to read. They are not by me - I don't think I could bear that - but here is one by that famous guy, 'Anonymous', which I like very much.

I suppose I ought to explain that my friend Mike actually ticked - due to the titanium valve in his heart.

Snapshots.

Four years ago:
My head is being pressed
Against a stranger's chest.
Not quite what I was expecting
To the question 'What's that ticking?'
But then, this is Mike.

One year ago:
He shows us a wonky fairy
He's made out of Starbucks cup.
It's got a pipe-cleaner wings
And a blu-tack head,
And we laugh with delight because it is wonderful.

One year from now:
He's still around, dancing in the air and
Grinning in our heads.
This, still, is Mike:
And memories of him make us laugh with delight,
Because he was wonderful.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll think of you tomorrow Clare. It is so hard to say goodbye to friends.

Sun Oct 19, 08:16:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Ann, Mike was a great chap and a lot of people are going to miss him.

Sun Oct 19, 08:45:00 pm  
Blogger pierre l said...

I am also sorry about your bereavement, and will think of you tomorrow.

Sun Oct 19, 09:49:00 pm  
Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Beautiful poem, Clare. Thinking of you.

Sun Oct 19, 10:36:00 pm  
Blogger crimeficreader said...

Sorry to hear you have lost a dear friend, Clare. My sympathies.

Sun Oct 19, 11:00:00 pm  
Blogger Sarah Stewart said...

Hi Clare

Thank you for dropping by my blog. I am sorry that I cannot help you with your query.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I am going through a similar loss myself. It is hard to say goodbye, and important to hang on to memories.

Sun Oct 19, 11:54:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you all. Memories are so important, I think - and this poem describes Mike so extremely well.

Mon Oct 20, 12:14:00 am  
Blogger aliholli said...

Thinking of you,pal. It`s hardly surprising that you haven`t got much done this weekend. I think the hardest thing when you lose someone close to you is that you want the world to stop too, even if only for a while.

Mon Oct 20, 12:18:00 am  
Blogger Jan said...

He WAS wonderful, Clare.
I keep hearing his voice because it was so friendly and recognisable and I'm remembering how he put everyone at ease, always made welcome everyone.

Mon Oct 20, 10:38:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Ali - and thanks for Spinnin' this morning!

Your tribute was spot on, Jan!

Tue Oct 21, 11:13:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home