Thursday, October 16, 2008

Doing Nothing

I had such a good day yesterday: I met some really great students and staff at Liverpool John Moores University, and enjoyed myself enormously giving them a talk about madness and literature. Then, in the evening, I headed down to Mold to the History Society and took down the minutes. That was good too.

Today I was supposed to be editing my Patagonia book, but somehow I didn't manage to even open my laptop. I went to aerobics, and then...well, I have a hard time working out exactly what I did. It seems like I did nothing. I didn't read a book, I didn't write anything, all I did was answer the phone a couple of times and fill in a form. Time went by and I sat there like the man without the face in the Murakami novel. Just being. My heart beating in time with some distant clock, second after second, minute after minute.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger aliholli said...

Haha I hope you are not blaming aerobics for the lack of activity yesterday!!!It`s supposed to spur you into action not send you into a mindless trance all day!(I usually have a day kike this the first week I dont have to make the cricket tea... after a summer of rushing home from spinning to boil eggs and butter bread and then serve up and then wash up and tidy up ..its nice to have a Saturday doing absolutely nothing... well after spinning of course... and walking the pooch twice...hmm in fact, thinking about it, I suppose I dont really have a day of doing nothing...

Fri Oct 17, 02:35:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

No, Ali, aerobics is often my only accomplishment of the day...or so it seems.

Your comment made me smile. No, I cannot imagine you having a day of doing nothing. It is inconceivable - and inspirational!

Sat Oct 18, 01:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a day kind of pass by...I always feel I have so many duties.

I was going to link to your post about the Royalty statement which is in my RSS reader but it isn't on the blog so I presume you've deleted it. (I won't write about it). Hope all is OK.

Sat Oct 18, 05:18:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I've put it back now, Maxine. I think in a way I have too much to do too, and I'm a bit like some small animal caught in headlights - paralysed by it all. But of course they are all self-inflicted deadlines, which should make it better, and usually it does, but not at the moment.

Sat Oct 18, 06:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home