Thursday, October 16, 2008

Doing Nothing

I had such a good day yesterday: I met some really great students and staff at Liverpool John Moores University, and enjoyed myself enormously giving them a talk about madness and literature. Then, in the evening, I headed down to Mold to the History Society and took down the minutes. That was good too.

Today I was supposed to be editing my Patagonia book, but somehow I didn't manage to even open my laptop. I went to aerobics, and then...well, I have a hard time working out exactly what I did. It seems like I did nothing. I didn't read a book, I didn't write anything, all I did was answer the phone a couple of times and fill in a form. Time went by and I sat there like the man without the face in the Murakami novel. Just being. My heart beating in time with some distant clock, second after second, minute after minute.



Blogger aliholli said...

Haha I hope you are not blaming aerobics for the lack of activity yesterday!!!It`s supposed to spur you into action not send you into a mindless trance all day!(I usually have a day kike this the first week I dont have to make the cricket tea... after a summer of rushing home from spinning to boil eggs and butter bread and then serve up and then wash up and tidy up ..its nice to have a Saturday doing absolutely nothing... well after spinning of course... and walking the pooch twice...hmm in fact, thinking about it, I suppose I dont really have a day of doing nothing...

Fri Oct 17, 02:35:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

No, Ali, aerobics is often my only accomplishment of the day...or so it seems.

Your comment made me smile. No, I cannot imagine you having a day of doing nothing. It is inconceivable - and inspirational!

Sat Oct 18, 01:15:00 pm  
OpenID maxine said...

I'd love to have a day kind of pass by...I always feel I have so many duties.

I was going to link to your post about the Royalty statement which is in my RSS reader but it isn't on the blog so I presume you've deleted it. (I won't write about it). Hope all is OK.

Sat Oct 18, 05:18:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I've put it back now, Maxine. I think in a way I have too much to do too, and I'm a bit like some small animal caught in headlights - paralysed by it all. But of course they are all self-inflicted deadlines, which should make it better, and usually it does, but not at the moment.

Sat Oct 18, 06:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home