Thursday, August 21, 2008

Papillifera papillaris: a tribute to the cunning of the Italian immigrant snail which hid undetected for over 100 years in the Cliveden marbles

Oh mamma mia, we are undone!
Which one of you blabbed?
We burrowed and ate.
You came and looked.
A nice little racket.

Sure, it was cold.
Sure, we made holes.
Sure, we shouldn't really have ever been there.
But overall
you have to admit
our ice-cream whirls
and tutti frutti exteriors
are just as pretty
as any native periwinkle.

(With thanks to Dave Lull for drawing my attention to this story)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice one. How's it going?

Fri Aug 22, 10:34:00 am  
Blogger JL said...

I did in fact save this little missive, for my own private use, and my daughter and I are using it as our little secret communication.

That is so cool.

Cheers!

Sat Aug 23, 12:39:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

off the topic almost, have you seen the snail earrings at www.alexmonroe.com - just thought of you

Sun Aug 24, 07:32:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thank you Onyeka, pretty well. Thanks for asking.

Ah, JL - a secret communication - very intriguing and I have to tell you I feel very honoured. Thank you.

And Gondal Girl! Snail earrings! I'm definitely interested. Thanks for telling me.

Sun Aug 24, 12:07:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home