Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Slug Romance

The writing is not going well. Luckily I've been sent a pretty wonderful book so I'm reading that instead.

I also found this slug, which I thought was quite glamorous in a slug-like way and inspired me to have another go at a 101 word story...



A SLUG ROMANCE

I fell in love with a slug. He kissed me once but claimed later he had just touched me on the mouth. An accident. It is hard to tell with slugs. When I asked him to the school disco he told me he had other trails to make. So I danced on my own and tried not to mind.

I came back to a scene of carnage: the contents of the salt cellar spilt onto the floor, ‘Good-bye cruel world’ picked out in slime, and his shrivelled corpse like a comma at the end. He was never that good at punctuation.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he had a Continental drift to use a comma for a dot.

Didn't know british slug were that ... substantial. Ordinary japanese slugs are 3 to 4cm long and in lighter shades.

Sun Aug 28, 02:20:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nanny Mouse (Montmorency?): I know this might sound a bit weird, but I think that is REALLY interesting about Japanese slugs because slugs were one of the living fossils Wegener used as evidence of continental drift. I'm not sure how this fits into continents drifting though, since I believe Japan is quite a young place (geologically). Maybe the slugs were carried from mainland Asia.

But fascinated that your slugs are different from British slugs. Some of ours are really black (blacker than that one), and some are brown, but never very pale, and an adult slug can get to be about 10 cm long I'd say.

And thanks for blogging about my books - I've no idea what it says, but thanks very much for mentioning them.
Clare.

Sun Aug 28, 04:46:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that was me.

That's interesting. He speculated on common creatures. But I believe my reasoning is better: slugs cannot endure salt; they cannot traverse the seas because of salt; ergo, continents had split and moved with slugs on them.:-) Well, they can move with any vegetation, so the ditribution of plants would be a better evidence.

Actually I need to write about your books more properly in my blog, and I have an intention to do so later. For now, I just put the link to your blog, telling your whimsical sketches of snails and slugs are so fun.

Sun Aug 28, 01:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home