Thursday, January 05, 2017

Thanks Theo!

Today we bought a new Purdy paintbrush. Recorded on the handle is the man who made it: Theo.


I think I remember reading once that the names of the makers of the figures of the terracotta army are also recorded  on their work.  I suspect this is so they could be held to account -  I suspect the First emperor of China did not have a great reputation for leniency in the event of poor workmanship.

Luckily, the workforce of Purdy paintbrushes live in more enlightened times, and anyway the paintbrush looks perfectly fine to me - a link between the craftsman who made the brush and the man about to use it.  In this case Hodmandod Senior.  No excuses.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Two of my children are addicted to LUSH (http://www.lushusa.com) face masks and bath bombs and so on, and each one has a sticker with a comix-style portrait of the maker and date made. A coming wave? The return to handwork?

Fri Jan 06, 04:35:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ah yes, there's a Lush shop in Chester! - the sort of place you smell before you see! My daughter-in-law is a big fan but I've never bought one myself so I haven't come across this. I do like the idea though. It's a kind of reaction to mass production, I suppose. In these days where it is so easy to get anything it's sometimes hard to make anything appear special.

Fri Jan 06, 08:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home