Monday, August 29, 2011

Mysterious Bird of Prey

We had a surprise visitor in our garden today: some sort of bird of prey, maybe a falcon*. It sat perched on one leg in our apple tree, coolly looking around with its mean yellow eyes, allowing Hodmandods Senior and Majorette (and me) plenty of time to take a photo.



Hodmandod Majorette's were by far the best and I have posted two of them here.


*with the help of my 'Field Guide to British Birds' by Robert Burton


and this RSPB website, I have come to the conclusion it was, in fact, a young sparrowhawk.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics! Whenever I can't identify a bird of prey, I default to raptor. :)

Tue Aug 30, 12:11:00 am  
Blogger Anne S said...

Ooh lucky you. I so very rarely see birds of prey, it's wonderful to catch a glimpse of them up close. Such handsome and striking birds.

Tue Aug 30, 03:43:00 am  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Hheh, heh, Mary! Yes, can't go wrong with a raptor.

Yes, Anne - striking is the perfect word, I'd say. It's strange we should see one because our garden is quite small. So we did feel privileged.

Tue Aug 30, 08:07:00 am  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What beautiful plumage - inspiration for a herring-bone or tweed jacket. The expression is almost sulky! (A teenage raptor?)

Tue Aug 30, 12:04:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Just spotted this comment, Kay - I'm sorry!

Anyway...I like it! Funny, and very apt.

Wed Aug 31, 10:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home