Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Salon: BBC National Short Story Award 2009

Having finished going through my proofs (yeay!), I have just finished reading last year's BBC National Short story award shortlist. I like these little books - just the right size to carry around, and a highly satisfying reading experience too.


Naomi Alderman's was a comic anecdotal tale about a Jewish man who becomes obsessed with an idol; Kate Clanchy's was a very unusual and thought-provoking story about a child undergoing life-saving medical treatment; Sara Maitland's was about the meeting of a moss-witch and a scientist (original and also rather haunting); Jane Roger's was about a woman with dementia, somehow making the woman's actions plausible and entirely logical (I really loved this one - particularly the way it drew me in) and Lionel Shriver's was another comic tale, again about a child and a parent, and managed to do that rare thing - make me laugh out loud as I read.

2 Comments:

Blogger jem said...

Thanks for the mention of these collections. I'm still finding short stories hit and miss, but mixed author collections are going down well. I'm still making my way through the Ox-Tales that I heard about from you.

Tue Apr 06, 12:34:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, 'hit and miss' sums them up, really. The 'hits' stay with me such a long time though that I think it's worth risking a few misses to get to them.

Tue Apr 06, 07:49:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home