Monday, June 29, 2009

Imagining the Zhujiang Delta.

At the bottom of China is a delta. On one side is Hong Kong, close to that is Shehzhen, further west again, skirting the delta and its spray of small flat islands, is Guangzhou. Each of these cities contains around eight million people, and there are yet two or three more of equal size. I'm not sure why just yet, but these cities, over the last few years, have seen the greatest economic growth in a country that has in itself seen the fastest economic development. Each city gleams with tall glass and metal buildings.

It is at the edge of the tropical monsoon, and is therefore wet and warm. The islands and surrounding countryside contain ponds full of carp, and around each pond mulberry trees. Each one is a self-sufficient ecosystem - one component feeding the next in a satisfying cycle. I keep imagining these small quiet places amidst all this activity and wonder how it must be to live there. So much bustle and yet so much peace. And, probably, so much pressure to change.

At the moment I am trying to work out a way of going there. I have worked out a way to get to Guangzhou, but now I want to try and find someone who will take me to the islands and the farms - preferably someone who can speak English and can do a little interpretation for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jud said...

Sounds like another great adventure, Clare. I cannot wait to see how it unfolds for you.

Mon Jun 29, 10:28:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

I'm having a great deal of trouble getting through to anyone at the moment, Jud. It's not going to be easy, I think.

Tue Jun 30, 06:53:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home