Sunday, April 19, 2009

Silkless Pupa 2

He has become darker now, I believe. But is still sensitive to the world around him. A draught causes him to swish his tail. It is a little disquieting. I had tried to convince myself that a pupa was barely alive - and yet clearly it is still a sentient being.


This flick of a tail has caused me to think again about what is life and what exactly is living. I think again of comas, varying degrees of consciousness and the vegetative state. Inside, this pupa is disorganised, its cell walls broken down into a soup of innards - and yet it still reacts. There must be, therefore, something that is left intact: a brain, perhaps, and some sort of nervous system. This twitch of the tail must be some base reaction...and I think of another time, another twitch, and hope that too was some primal reaction without consciousness.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Makes me think of the chooks with their heads chopped off still running about - boy! did that freak me out when I saw that as a kid.

Sun Apr 19, 02:37:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Ugh - that would freak me out too, Kay! I wonder how that happens - it seems incredible.

Sun Apr 19, 06:15:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Just found a website about Mike, the headless chicken - there is, apparently a festival in May in Wales to celebrate!
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.php

Sun Apr 19, 06:26:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This makes my tummy feel slightly squirmy and I am reminded of how I felt reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... it's a lot to think about...

Sun Apr 19, 07:39:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Yes, Barbara - see what you mean about Frankenstein!

Sun Apr 19, 10:34:00 pm  
Anonymous marly said...

Chickens, yes! Chickens loom large for me. So does Yeats. This also reminds me of what Yeats said about the time after death--a multi-year time of confusion to the soul, before clarity appeared.

Thu Apr 23, 08:28:00 pm  
Blogger Clare Dudman said...

Thanks Marly, 'a multi-year time of confusion' - now what did he mean by that, I wonder. Spring and Winter at the same time, perhaps? That would certainly be confusing! I like the idea of clarity appearing eventually. It gives one hope.

Mon Apr 27, 09:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home